Bowyer Finding Unexpected Benefits In Filling Stewart's Seat

All things Clint
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Bowyer Finding Unexpected Benefits In Filling Stewart's Seat

Post by HiddenHollow »

Saturday, 25 March 2017 By Kelly Crandall
Admittedly, it's been just an OK start to the season for Clint Bowyer. But he does have one thing going for him: The love of the ladies.

Here's what happened: Bowyer inherited the steering wheel at Stewart-Haas Racing from three-time champion Tony Stewart when he retired after 18 seasons in NASCAR premier series. In doing so, longtime Stewart fans needed a driver to shift their support.

Now a month into the season as the new face of the 14, Bowyer admits there have been some interesting fan encounters.
"There's been a lot of ladies on Twitter and stuff like that, 'Thanks for running decent!'" Bowyer said with a laugh Saturday. "All them little old ladies love Tony (Stewart); I guess they love that attitude. It's been fun to have that following."

Of course, it's not just the ladies. Hosting a small group of media ahead of final Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice at Auto Club Speedway, Bowyer acknowledged he's filled the void for Stewart fans. But with it comes a sense of responsibility to make sure those fans made the right decision.

"It's that older fan," Bowyer said. "Tony was around for a long time, he was a big part of this sport for a long time, and a lot of those core fans, that's something that I've really noticed on social media or even at the racetrack, is they were looking for somebody, too. You gotta get out there and make them proud, or you're going to lose them."

The Auto Club 400 (Sunday, 3:30 p.m. ET, FOX) bookends the first five races of the season, as well as ending the West Coast swing. Bowyer and crew chief Mike Bugarewicz are building chemistry while looking for consistency. Three top-13 finishes in four races far exceeds much of Bowyer's performances in 2016, his gap year at HScott Motorsports.

However, being in championship contending-equipment at Stewart-Haas Racing brings higher expectations. Add in being out of the spotlight for so long, and Bowyer feels the pressure of having to prove himself all over again.

"You have to prove yourself every single weekend, but we're out looking for sponsorship (for the 14 car)," Bowyer said. "We have to do a good job on the racetrack; we have to do a good job off the racetrack. You have to be the total package for these companies, and a big part of that is getting out there and being known and being seen on that racetrack.

"Aside from that, yeah, it all comes down on you. There's nobody that wants this more than I do. This is what I do for a living, but this is also what I've done since I was little bitty."

:arrow: http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/139110 ... art-s-seat
Image Always A Racer - Forever A Champion Image
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Re: Bowyer Finding Unexpected Benefits In Filling Stewart's

Post by Annalee »

Sorry but this little old lady doesn't see it that way....There is no one who can fill those shoes....NO ONE!! :s_no NEVER!!
He can drive the car......but that's it!!