All things Clint
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Why Buga Mike is the perfect crew chief for Clint Bowyer

Post by HiddenHollow »

Why Mike Bugarewicz Is The Perfect Crew Chief For Clint Bowyer

By: Lee Spencer, NASCAR Senior Writer

If opposites attract, then Stewart-Haas Racing found the right crew chief for Clint Bowyer.

Mike Bugarewicz was promoted from lead engineer for Kevin Harvick and the No. 4 team to crew chief for Tony Stewart in 2016. He remained with the No. 14 crew after Stewart retired and Bowyer came on board.

Where Bowyer has traditionally been the life of the party, ?Buga? is anything but. And he let his new driver know that early in their relationship.

?Man, it is the hardest thing to try to get a laugh out of him or a rise in any way other than just #### or completely disgusted with me,? Bowyer said. ?It is a lot of fun though. He is young. That is the neat thing about Mike, how young he is compared to a lot of his peers in his profession. The work ethic is what you care about and I think that is what he cares about with me.

?As long as I show up for my meetings and take my work seriously. That is the thing about me that people don?t see, that side. I want to run up front. I want to compete. That is why I get out of bed and go to work. That is why you go each and every weekend and drag your family all across the country to do this. Because you love to do it and want to compete and win these races.?

A calming influence

Last weekend SHR team co-owner Tony Stewart was also on the radio with Bowyer at Martinsville offering advice. After spending 28-races with Bugarewicz last year, Stewart believed the engineer-turned-crew chief would be a calming influence on Bowyer.

?We?re a lot alike except his attention span is fractional compared to mine,? Stewart said of Bowyer. ?You guys all know that. It?s no secret?But Buga is the right guy for him. When he worked with me, I told him if I start getting overboard on emotion, just let me vent and then tell me to get focussed again and drive the car.

?And that?s what he?s kind of doing with Clint and it seems to be working with him as well. I think Buga is really showing a lot of maturity for a guy who is in his sophomore year as a crew chief, this early. He?s had like four drivers already in a handful of races already. I think he?s doing a real good job.?

:arrow: https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/n ... er-890879/
Image Always A Racer - Forever A Champion Image