Looking Ahead To 2018 - Cole's Position Game

Make your race picks, win prizes, earn bragging rights
beaverpond
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Looking Ahead To 2018 - Cole's Position Game

Post by beaverpond »

The sponsor who supplied the $75 gift card, (Shell this year), they want to be part of our game next year too.

They sponsor two local tracks here in Maine, Oxford Plains Speedway and Beach Ridge Motor Speedway.

When I worked for the company many moons ago the president of the company knew nothing about NASCAR which she and her cousin and brother inherited from her father and uncle. It is now one of the largest gas station, heating oil, and convenience store chains in the northeast. At one time they used to also own a car dealership, a tractor company, a logging operation, and an insurance company too. But it became too diverse and needed to just work in one area, the one area they knew a lot about...The Petroleum Business. The company does sponsor a couple of local teams up here as well, one at each track.

I remember one year when the president was trying to figure out what this fascination was with NASCAR and she asked me this question. I answered her question like this...Where else can you drive more than 200mph, not get a speeding ticket, wreck your car, walk away in most cases without so much as a scratch. That was the year she went with me to meet Ricky Craven in Portland at an autograph signing. Yup, I made a fan out of her that very day.

Anyway, looking ahead. I was told that whoever the winner is if they live in area that has a brand of gasoline that they also sell, they will be more than happy to get them a gift card for that brand of gasoline. If the winner does not have any of the brands they carry, then they will supply them with a Visa / MasterCard for $75. Looking at the time of year that each season ends, what an awesome early Christmas present this makes for one winner.

For 2017 it was Awsum14.

I just thought I would share how this prize came to be and a little history behind it.
beaverpond
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Re: Looking Ahead To 2018 - Cole's Position Game

Post by beaverpond »

We have seen our fair share of Nascar Drivers at Oxford Plains Speedway over the years and in some cases they have been the winner of the Oxford 250 in the month of July...drivers such as Ricky Craven, Geoff Bodine, Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch just to name a few.
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by alenigma »

That was a great tale, Beav. You should do this more often>
Let the Next Generation Emerge! :s_bomb
beaverpond
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by beaverpond »

I had to be reminded of some of the details when I met with the VP of the company recently. With my memory not what it used to be it was nice to take that trip down memory lane. I started off as an asst manager for them and worked my way up to asst territory manager with the company before having to leave for health reasons after almost 10 years.