Irma

Whatever goes... remember, this is a family forum
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Re: Irma

Post by alenigma »

Smokie!!!! It is soooo great to see your post! Every raceday when I'm the only one in the chatroom, I wonder what happened to you. My condolences for the loss of your Mother.
I live with my parents on a golf course and none of us golf! :s_dunno I keep them from climbing ladders and lifting heavy things. They are beginning to to have bad moments where they can't remember the conversation or the names of everyday items. H3ll, Momma almost burnt the house down last year because her and Dad decided to have coffee out in the back yard. Momma had left a pan of grease on the stove...on high!!! I heard the smoke alarm and flames were almost to the ceiling. I grabbed an oversized lid and put it over the pan and turned off the burner....I had to repaint the kitchen.
A great many of those flood-damaged cars are going to be hauled to other markets and many good people will be hoodwinked into buying cars that will self-destruct in 2 or 3 years.
Let the Next Generation Emerge! :s_bomb
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

smokieonefour wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:02 pm Yikes! What a horrendous 'visual' of all the damaged cars! As in hurricanes of the past, folks have learned to check when and where a vehicle became salvaged for clues. Unfortunately, companies re-sell the vehicles several times ( now-a-days) to muddle the origin. :-( Maybe companies like Car Fax can help with the history more, than what was ever available before. ? ?

My heart breaks, reading the folks dealing with older parents. I went thru similar circumstances a few years back ( my mom finally passed this year, but I "lost" her, years ago ) and all of you have my best wishes for strength, understanding, patience and compassion, in dealing with this matter. Nobody ever trains, or teaches or gives help in how to deal with it - - and it can be pretty traumatic for some folks.

Also, in line with the story of a retired NASCAR track helping out ....Sonoma Raceway ( Infinity - Sears Point ) has opened its 50 acre camp ground to fire evacuees, which I thought was pretty darn cool. :-) NASCAR TRACKS RULE! ! ! ( Operating or not. ) ;-)

p.s. - yes I'm still here ... and no, I'm not affected by any of the fires in CA... yet ? I hope Annalee's folks in the Napa area are OK.
Danica's and Mario Andretti vineyards made it out, unscathed. :-)
Smokie....Missed you...Things are not good for my family...Well my Cousin Larry, lost home in Silverado, burned to the ground ....They had 5-7 minutes to get out...The fire was so hot it melted all the glass and all metal....My other cousin lost part of her house...but the good news is that ALL are alive ....Like my cousin said....."Just less that I have has to dust"... It could have been so much worse....The sad part is the the water pumping station burned and the fire fighters had no WATER....so they had to watch the houses burn...
I am still looking for an Aunt, but with no electricity and internet....I just hope for the best....She lives north of Santa Rosa......Pray for some rain....

So good to hear from you...... :s_thumbsup
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by alenigma »

Prayers and best wishes for all of those affected by the wildfires.
smokieonefour
Race Fan
Race Fan

Post by smokieonefour »

alen .... { { HUG } } I'm glad you saved the homestead! :-)

It seems we all put on a happy face and tell silly stories and try to make light of what is happening, but the reality is - it's just plain sad. :-( Nobody wants to see their parent(s) who were always 'large and in-charge' revert back to a child. Caring for that parent is even harder, so that's why I just wanted to say - hey, I hear you, I know it's hard and heart breaking ... but it's also the way of life. "Cope the best way you can and make no excuses, to anyone".... is what I have found to be some of the best advice, given to me.

I miss you all too and have been lurking in the shadows, reading but not commenting. Tony leaving the series just kind of ... well .... wrecked it all for me. I can't seem to get behind anyone else. :-( The series is changing so much from the grass roots ... and I guess I'm just an 'old-school race fan.' Even with all that - I still read this board. :-)

Anna Lee - an extra {{ HUG }} for you! Hang in there girl! The news just reported that the major cell carriers are providing mobile internet access towers while they quickly re-build the burned cell towers - so SOME internet access is coming ... and I PRAY you hear from your Aunt and that she's OK. My heart breaks for your cousin's losses. I hope they get ALL the help they need and deserve. These fires have been DEVASTATING to so many. Add California ( hey, we're the 'normal' northern part! LOL ) to the list of devastated states by a natural disaster. :-( Some 3,800 homes burned to the ground and as Annalee stated - there's nothing left to sift through. The fires were so hot, they melted safes. Armored, fire-proof safes.... melted in the heat. :-( A light rain will be coming on weds/thursday.

Anyway, with all that's been happening in the world, so much pain and loss ... I find myself coming back here, to friends & fellowship, for comfort .. so a HUGE THANKS again to Hidden Hollow, for keeping us going. :-) Sometimes in life, we never really know or get to understand the impact we make on other lives ... and I just want to say today - Thanks HH :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

Sh*t happens, but don't worry ~ it usually happens to me.
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by alenigma »

A big hug sent back to ya!!! Smokie!!! I guess Annalee and I have missed you the most.
When I was a 6 year old living in San Diego, I saw that tall grass start burning and all of our neighbors started to water their roofs. California has problems, even though I still remember the flag with the Bear...I don't know if I could Bear all the politics coming from Cali.
Let's not mention Religion or Politics here.....Luv ya Smokie!!!!
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

Great to see you back Smokie! Don't be a stranger, keep on posting.

After Smoke, I don't have a favorite driver either.
Image Always A Racer - Forever A Champion Image
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

HiddenHollow wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:33 am Great to see you back Smokie! Don't be a stranger, keep on posting.

After Smoke, I don't have a favorite driver either.

I have tried to fine another driver too.... :s_cry :s_cry ...but there will never be another....
beaverpond
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by beaverpond »

Harvick has been a second favorite of mine for a large number of years...but I fear my days are numbered too
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by alenigma »

With all of the GREAT young guns in Nascar, it shouldn't be too hard to pick a new favorite. I like Blaney and Bubba! ;)