Irma

Whatever goes... remember, this is a family forum
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Re: Irma

Post by alenigma »

HappyHH to hear that you and Mrs. HH rode out the storm successfully! Hope to hear that Searchers and "J" made it through too!
Let the Next Generation Emerge! :s_bomb
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

I haven't been around here much this week after Irma. We survived the storm just fine, but issues with 3 elderly family members and dealing with the storm damage to Mrs HH's dad's mobile home has taken up all our time. His community still has no power. Pre-Irma, he had hip replacement surgery scheduled for the 25th. That is still on schedule. We have to take him back south Tuesday because he has pre-op appointments on the 20th and the 22nd. We were forced to book rooms at a very expensive hotel near the Ft Myers Airport because most hotels/motels were booked up (or closed due to no power) with out of state emergency power workers. We are still hoping that the power will be restored within the next couple of days so we can avoid the hotel. We are taking this a day at a time.

Mrs HH's mother was just released from the hospital to a rehab facility up in Indiana. Being her POA, she has been spending a lot of time on the phone dealing with her situation.

My Aunt who lives near me in Clearwater, came through Irma just fine. She lost power for only a short time because she lives near a fire station which was restored fairly quickly. Unfortunately, she has rapidly deteriorating dementia and can't remember something from 2 minutes ago. I had to go to her yesterday to help her with a couple issues.

Enjoy today's race. I'm going to try and take some time myself to watch it.
Image Always A Racer - Forever A Champion Image
beaverpond
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by beaverpond »

I have a friend who did evacuate the area she and her husband live in down there and I am drawing a blank where they were living down there, end story is that it would not matter if they had power because when they were allowed to go back home, there was no home to go back to. Fortunately this couple has a vacation home in Casco, ME and has said they will be returning here and has the time to winterize while they wait on assistance to cleanup the neighborhood where they were and then re-build.

Another friend was without power for four days, but is being told that over the next month that they will go without power for several hours at home. So they have decided to live meal to meal because they lost everything in their fridge / freezer. They are already experiencing these rolling power outages. The longest one so far has lasted five hours and the shortest one has lasted two.
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

HH....sounds like you have your hands full....Sorry to hear that....Enjoy the race as much as you can
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by alenigma »

HH, it's great to hear how well y'all are coping! I saw where "Searchers" made his pick on "Patrick's Position", so I assume he's Okay. Still worried about "J"...Beav., I hope everything works-out for your people affected by Irma!
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

I'm still around. Mrs HH and I have been super busy with her dad. He had his hip replacement surgery today and seems to be doing fine. We've also had to deal with the damage to his mobile home. I miss you guys but I'll be back... eventually.
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

HH and Mrs HH..do you want me to make your picks for you?!? :s_crazy :s_rofl
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by alenigma »

I'm just happy to hear how well y'all are coping with things. You are in my thoughts and prayers. - Alan.
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

I'm baaack! For awhile anyway. Mrs HH & I returned home yesterday afternoon from her dad's. He was released from the hospital on the 29th and moved to a rehab facility, the same one he was in for his shoulder replacement last year, so he is familiar with the facility and the staff. Since he will be there at least a couple of weeks, it gave us time to come back home to take care of some of our business. Hurricane Irma really threw in some extra work we didn't expect. All of the a/c duct work running under his mobile home was flooded and had to be replaced. We bought and installed a dehumidifier in the house since it was without power for about a week and we didn't want black mold setting up. We don't think any water got inside, but just wanted to be safe. We made application to FEMA for him to see what assistance he might be entitled to. We met the FEMA inspector out there and he completed his assessment. Mrs HH also met the insurance adjuster out there and he completed his inspection. We are waiting for both reports. The storm also soaked the land line phone cable and knocked out phone & internet (DSL) service. I spent a couple days running new cables. Since I couldn't fit under the house, I had to hire a guy to crawl under the house to pull one of the cables. I was able to make the connections myself and finally got the phone and internet working again. We will be driving back down on the 16th to take him to his 1st follow-up visit with the hip surgeon on the 17th. We are still faced with getting the roof replaced (3 quotes needed), replacing some guttering and vinyl siding, and replacing some ripped screening and torn vinyl windows. We will probably get the house mold tested just to be safe.

Meanwhile, in Indiana, her sister has been dealing with issues with their mom, also 93 years old. Over the past few months she had to be taken from the assisted living facility where she is living to the hospital several times - falls and various infections. Her most recent trip to the hospital was this past week. However this time, the hospital doctor said he would not release her back to the assisted living facility, but only to a nursing home. This sent her sister scrambling Thursday and Friday to check out various nursing homes in the area and make a decision. They were on the phone with each other a lot. They finally settled on a place and their mom was moved there yesterday. Now they have to close out her old room and get her "stuff" moved into storage since nursing homes have a lot less personal room for patient's "stuff." Being POA for both parents, Mrs HH gets to handle all the paperwork.

This last month has been a killer and it's not over. I keep telling myself it could be worse. So may homes were destroyed or flooded. We drove by many of them every day. Some people are still in shelters in southwest Florida.
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by alenigma »

It's great to have you and the Mrs. back, HH! I hope and pray that your lives get back to normal again real soon! - Alan.