Irma

Whatever goes... remember, this is a family forum
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Re: Irma

Post by Annalee »

We are glad to have you both back....Hope all your problems are little ones from now on out....Its hard when you have the responsibility of your parents to worry about.....
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

Annalee wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:18 pm We are glad to have you both back....Hope all your problems are little ones from now on out....Its hard when you have the responsibility of your parents to worry about.....
:like:

Her mom called at 4am this morning and woke us up. She has no idea what time of day it is. She is NOT happy in the nursing home. No real problem, she just picks up the phone and dials. :roll:
Image Always A Racer - Forever A Champion Image
beaverpond
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by beaverpond »

I used to do that, having friends all over the world in time zones all over the world can seriously mess a person up. For a long time we had clocks in the kitchen set up by time zone and who lived in each one. This allow me to know what time it was all over and which family or friends lived in what time zone. Like I can't call my friends in Guam right now because it is 1:42am
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

HiddenHollow wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:54 am
Annalee wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:18 pm We are glad to have you both back....Hope all your problems are little ones from now on out....Its hard when you have the responsibility of your parents to worry about.....
:like:

Her mom called at 4am this morning and woke us up. She has no idea what time of day it is. She is NOT happy in the nursing home. No real problem, she just picks up the phone and dials. :roll:
I have walked in your shoes....it is not easy...We finally had to take the phone away....She would just dial any numbers and talk to whom ever was on the other end, related or not, especially at night...When they are having memory problems, change is really hard on them.....the Alzheimer's Assoc has some really good info to help you cope and in the same way help them....One thing I did learn ...just agree with what they say....In their minds they believe in what they are saying is true....And in a couple of minutes they I'll forget what they have said anyway.....
BudmaninTx
Race Fan
Race Fan

Post by BudmaninTx »

On a side note, here is video of cars ruined in Houston/Hurricane Harvey. An insurance consortium has leased the old defunct Texas World Speedway's 600 acres as a repository for these vehicles. Tens of thousands of "Totaled" automobiles. Have a look.

BudmaninTx
Race Fan
Race Fan

Post by BudmaninTx »

Here is a updated photo ............ The track is a two mile oval ............ Astounding photo, isn't it?
Harveycars. (Copy).jpg
Harveycars. (Copy).jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 4283 times
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by alenigma »

Didn't they race there from around '70 to '76? I never saw TV coverage...
Let the Next Generation Emerge! :s_bomb
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by alenigma »

I am just taken aback by the video, Budman. Thanks for posting. The worst part is that I noticed at the beginning, someone was leaving with 2 cars. That means for the right amount of $ you can buy these totals and put them in auctions on the east or west coast. The electronics will go first....
Let the Next Generation Emerge! :s_bomb
BudmaninTx
Race Fan
Race Fan

Post by BudmaninTx »

Indeed they did hold races there Alenigma, during the 70's and early 80's, Nascar, Indycar and ARCA. I never attended a race there. From what I've heard, the biggest problem was its location in east-central Texas, far from any major metropolitan area. I don't think they ever attracted the large crowds they had anticipated.
Eventually the major racing series left. The place fell into a state of disrepair. Even the grandstands were condemned years ago due to excessive settling and cracking.

Regarding all those "TOTALED" cars, they all now belong to the various insurance companies. My understanding is the State of Texas now must issue SALVAGE ONLY titles for each of those cars, for parts only. Obviously that's going to take quite some time. The insurance companies will then auction them off in no doubt, very large lots. You and I both know what is going to happen them. The State of Texas can and does issue "RECONSTRUCTED TITLES" if the owner makes certain certifications and the vehicle passes inspection as to "Road Worthiness." I refer to those type titles as "LET THE BUYER BEWARE" titles. I suspect many of those cars will start showing up on Used Car lots all over the country and even in other countries before long.
smokieonefour
Race Fan
Race Fan

Post by smokieonefour »

Yikes! What a horrendous 'visual' of all the damaged cars! As in hurricanes of the past, folks have learned to check when and where a vehicle became salvaged for clues. Unfortunately, companies re-sell the vehicles several times ( now-a-days) to muddle the origin. :-( Maybe companies like Car Fax can help with the history more, than what was ever available before. ? ?

My heart breaks, reading the folks dealing with older parents. I went thru similar circumstances a few years back ( my mom finally passed this year, but I "lost" her, years ago ) and all of you have my best wishes for strength, understanding, patience and compassion, in dealing with this matter. Nobody ever trains, or teaches or gives help in how to deal with it - - and it can be pretty traumatic for some folks.

Also, in line with the story of a retired NASCAR track helping out ....Sonoma Raceway ( Infinity - Sears Point ) has opened its 50 acre camp ground to fire evacuees, which I thought was pretty darn cool. :-) NASCAR TRACKS RULE! ! ! ( Operating or not. ) ;-)

p.s. - yes I'm still here ... and no, I'm not affected by any of the fires in CA... yet ? I hope Annalee's folks in the Napa area are OK.
Danica's and Mario Andretti vineyards made it out, unscathed. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

Sh*t happens, but don't worry ~ it usually happens to me.