Three-time Champion Tony Stewart Headlines Additions To NASCAR Hall of Fame Nominees

All things Tony
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Three-time Champion Tony Stewart Headlines Additions To NASCAR Hall of Fame Nominees

Post by HiddenHollow »

By Holly Cain | NASCAR Wire Service | March 13, 2019 at 5:02 pm

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Three-time Cup champion Tony Stewart and the late Neil Bonnett are among the list of new nominees eligible for induction into the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Five inductees from a list of 20 nominees will be chosen for the 2020 induction class on Voting Day, Wednesday, May 22 – the list of new honorees decided on by both the NASCAR Hall of Fame Voting Panel and a nationwide fan vote on NASCAR.com.

Stewart may join one of his former rivals and one of this year’s new inductees, four-time Cup champion Jeff Gordon, who was chosen for the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility.

Also newly added to the esteemed list released Wednesday is Bonnett, a popular member of the “Alabama Gang,” NASCAR Xfinity Series pioneer and two-time champion Sam Ard, former Daytona 500 winner Marvin Panch, short-track master Jim Paschal and the sport’s first “master mechanic,” Red Vogt. A nominating committee representing NASCAR, the NASCAR Hall of Fame, track owners and the media selected the new slate of names.

There are three new nominees for the prestigious Landmark Award as well, including Edsel Ford II, Mike Helton and Dr. Joe Mattioli, who join returning nominees Alvin Hawkins and Ralph Seagraves. This award honors competitors; “those working in the sport as a member of a racing organization, track facility, race team, sponsor, media partner;” or someone considered “a general ambassador for the sport through a professional or non-professional role.”

Here is the full list of nominees for the NASCAR Hall of Fame (listed alphabetically):

• Sam Ard, NASCAR Xfinity Series pioneer and two-time champion

• Buddy Baker, won 19 times in the NASCAR Cup Series, including the Daytona 500 and Southern 500

• Neil Bonnett, won 18 times in the NASCAR Cup Series, including consecutive Coca-Cola 600 wins

• Red Farmer, three-time Late Model Sportsman champion; 1956 Modified champion

• Ray Fox, legendary engine builder, crew chief and car owner

• Harry Gant, winner of 18 NASCAR Cup Series races, including two Southern 500 victories

• Joe Gibbs, combined for nine car owner championships in Cup and XFINITY series

• John Holman, won two NASCAR Cup Series championships as co-owner of Holman-Moody Racing

• Harry Hyde, 1970 NASCAR Cup Series championship crew chief

• Bobby Labonte, won a championship in both the Cup Series and XFINITY Series

• Hershel McGriff, 1986 NASCAR west series champion

• Ralph Moody, won two NASCAR Cup Series championships as co-owner of Holman-Moody Racing

• Marvin Panch, won 17 times in the NASCAR Cup Series, including the 1961 Daytona 500

• Jim Paschal, 23 of his 25 NASCAR Cup Series wins came on short tracks

• Larry Phillips, only five-time NASCAR weekly series national champion

• Ricky Rudd, won 23 times in NASCAR Cup Series, including the 1997 Brickyard 400

• Mike Stefanik, winner of record-tying nine NASCAR championships

• Tony Stewart, three-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, two-time Brickyard 400 winner

• Red Vogt, the first master mechanic of NASCAR, and a founding member

• Waddell Wilson, won three NASCAR Cup Series championships as an engine builder

The five nominees for the Landmark Award, listed alphabetically, are as follows…

• Edsel Ford II, Ford Motor Company

• Alvin Hawkins, NASCAR’s first flagman; established NASCAR racing at Bowman Gray Stadium with Bill France Sr.

• Mike Helton, the first non-France family member to be named NASCAR President

• Dr. Joseph Mattioli, founder of Pocono Raceway

• Ralph Seagraves, formed groundbreaking Winston-NASCAR partnership as executive with R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company

:arrow: https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2019/ ... 0005405289
Image Always A Racer - Forever A Champion Image
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Re: Three-time Champion Tony Stewart Headlines Additions To NASCAR Hall of Fame Nominees

Post by Annalee »

I WOULD ONLY VOTE FOR ONE..... :s_thumbsup

HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Re: Three-time Champion Tony Stewart Headlines Additions To NASCAR Hall of Fame Nominees

Post by HiddenHollow »

Gee, I wonder who your choice would be?!? :s_scratchhead
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

Tony Stewart ‘Still Looking Forward’ After NASCAR Hall Of Fame Nomination

By Daniel McFadin | Mar 13, 2019, 6:28 PM EDT

Tony Stewart is going too fast to take time appreciate his contributions to NASCAR.

The three-time Cup champion said as much Wednesday on NASCAR America Motormouths as he discussed being one of 20 nominees for the 2020 NASCAR Hall of Fame class.

“I’m still racing,” Stewart said of his busy schedule, which includes 99 dirt races. “It doesn’t leave much time to stop and do anything, let alone really reflect on our career. I’m still busy with Stewart-Haas Racing and everybody at Ford. I’ve got four awesome drivers I love interacting with. I guess I just haven’t gotten away from it enough to really stop and look backwards. We’re still looking forward right now.”

Stewart, who finished his NASCAR racing career with 49 Cup wins, said he still doesn’t feel like his name belongs in the same discussion as Earnhardt, Unser, Foyt and Petty.

“I think a lot of that too is those were guys I grew up watching on TV and respect so much,” Stewart said. “I don’t know that I was even qualified to carry their helmet bags for them. Just to be put in a sentence like that, it’s like watching an episode of Sesame Street, which thing doesn’t belong?”

Stewart received word he was nominated for the NASCAR Hall of Fame via text while flying home from Florida, where had been inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America on Tuesday.

“It’s hard to imagine going into Hall of Fames while you’re still a race car driver,” Stewart said. “I told them it kind of makes me feel old and I don’t know if I want to feel that old yet.”

Watch the above video for the full interview with Stewart.

Video :arrow: https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/03/13 ... omination/
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

The fan voting has ended.

HoF Fan Vote
HoF Fan Vote
vote.jpg (90.26 KiB) Viewed 9607 times

Then a short time later, this screen appeared.

Voting Closed
Voting Closed
vote1.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 9606 times
im4tony
Big Race Fan
Big Race Fan

Post by im4tony »

Our man Smoke made the Hall of Fame. Great birthday present SMoke
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

Stewart reflects on Gibbs, entire 2020 class: ‘This is my opportunity to be like you’

By Chase Wilhelm NASCAR.com May 22, 2019 at 9:20 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Tony Stewart sat calmly as his name was the first to be called among the five inductees for the NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2020, but once he heard Joe Gibbs was next, he couldn’t help but fist pump.

Stewart joined four other legends of the sport — Gibbs, Bobby Labonte, Waddell Wilson and Buddy Baker — having a special connection with each new member throughout his storied career.

Once the initial reactions of earning a selection in his first year on the ballot settled, Stewart had time to reflect upon the elation he had for those joining him, more so than the excitement for his own achievement.

RELATED: Class of 2020 revealed | Jeff Gordon crashes Tony Stewart’s interview

“It wasn’t about me,” Stewart said Wednesday following the formal announcement at the NASCAR Hall of Fame. “It’s about this whole group that’s going in. There was that sense of pride obviously when Mike (Helton) called my name. But at the same time, it’s fun to sit there and share that moment and know how much that’s going to mean to Joe and Bobby and Waddell.

“I’m more excited and prouder to be able to share it with them than I am about what it means just for me.”

Focusing on experiences with his former team owner, Stewart shared the fondest memories with Coach Gibbs. Stewart remembered joking with Gibbs about the only addition he wanted in the initial contract — an opportunity in one of the Top Fuel seats in the NHRA Gibbs had owned at the time. While Gibbs’ eyes got really big, Stewart got a kick out of pulling the leg of his new boss.

While it was the initial exchange that set the comedic tone for their relationship, it was the final one that was more heartfelt — the tough moment when he walked into Gibbs’ office to break the news — he was leaving the team to start up Stewart-Haas Racing.

“There’s been a lot of moments where Joe was more than patient with me,” Stewart said. “I remember how frustrated and mad and upset he was about it. But then I said, ‘This is my opportunity to be like you,’ and that stopped it all with him being mad.

“I think he was still frustrated, but I don’t think he was mad anymore,” Stewart added. “That was a moment that was just the two of us that day. What do you say when you tell someone you’re trying to be like them? What are they going to tell you, no don’t be like me?”

For Gibbs, it was a moment he remembers very well.

“At that point, I was upset,” Gibbs said. “You don’t really want to lose somebody like that that was such a key part to what we were doing. I think when he first said that to me, my reaction was I was disappointed, upset and then the more we thought about it, you do realize the opportunity he was offered.

“I will say this … I think it’s one of the key teams in support of NASCAR now,” added Gibbs. “What they’ve done over there has been good for our sport.”

For all the race wins and championships Stewart’s organization has earned since 2011, Stewart feels Gibbs was an integral part in that success for him, both personally and professionally.

“Working with someone like Joe is probably the best asset that I’ve ever had in my life,” Stewart said.

PHOTOS: Scenes from Voting Day for Hall of Fame 2020 class

As far as former teammate Labonte, Stewart credits him with paving the way to slot into the seat of the No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing machine.

“When I joined Joe Gibbs Racing, that’s when Bobby spent the most time with me because that’s when I needed the most help,” Stewart said. “I remember going to Rockingham where the Xfinity garage was on the backstretch and I remember how excited I would get when Bobby would come over.

“… He made an effort to go all the way to the backstretch to see how I was doing and offer advice. That meant the world to me because he was the guy that got me there.”

As much as Labonte offered a helping hand to Stewart in the beginning of his Cup Series venture, Labonte noted it was actually a two-way street.

“When the second car was added, he was so good, and he helped me, and I hope I helped him,” Labonte said. “I think of the race in Miami where he won the race and I won the championship. So many good things. Just how much of a great teammate he was to me and he was always willing to help.”

Aside from the JGR history, even Stewart’s connections with Wilson and Baker left a footprint early on in his career. Wilson was with former team owner Harry Ranier when Stewart joined Ranier-Walsh Racing’s 1996 entry in what’s now the NASCAR Xfinity Series. When Stewart went through the Buck Baker Driving School, Stewart shared that Buddy was there watching him take laps.

“It’s very humbling,” Stewart said. “It’s just really cool how the four guys I’m going in with I have a connection with at early parts of my career.”
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »