Artificial Racing.....Mark Martin

Races, tracks, drivers and all the drama that comes along with it
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Artificial Racing.....Mark Martin

Post by Annalee »

Great article...Just wish NASCAR would listen.... :s_sad

Martin: NASCAR is suppose to be the ‘hardest, most difficult’ thing for a race car driver

NASCAR is on the brink of changing it’s image. One could argue they’ve been doing that since around 2006.

But, there will be no bigger change closer to a racing apocalypse than installing restrictor plates on all tracks that exceed 1.5-miles. That changes the fundamentals of the entire sport.

Taking the power away bunches up the field and makes the racing appear far more entertaining. But, the drivers are no longer on the edge of control. From that aspect, it’s lame.

“I would argue that there is a much lesser and a different skill set at Daytona and Talladega,” Mark Martin stated from the Michigan International Speedway media center.

“It’s much easier for someone to win one of those races. Than it is, one of these races. You can’t argue that point.”

“Racing in NASCAR is suppose to be the hardest, most difficult thing that you could ever try to do as a race car driver.”

“It really really hurts me to think about, if we’re gonna change that to satisfy Johnny-Come-Lately fans. What’s wrong with the sport being what it is?”

“You gotta be careful — There’s a lot of old-time supporters of this sport that are already dissatisfied with [the] changes. You don’t want to alienate the rest of those. Trying to appeal to what appears to me like — an impossible situation to satisfy. Some of the newer fans of the sport.”

“I just don’t think it’s possible. And I also don’t think you can make everybody happy. You have to look at the whole sport. And if 50% is for something then 50% is not.”

“There is some integrity that I feel needs to be maintained in this sport. There are some issues that could be addressed about our racing. But, artificially making the racing exciting for a portion of the fans — I’d rather see that in yesterday’s [Xfinity] race.”

Mark Martin isn’t a dinosaur that’s just against change. That’s not what we’re talking about. In the past, he’s made comments that he’s in favor of the playoffs, double-file restarts and stage racing.

“I’ve bought into many of the changes. I’m good with the segment racing. I like it!”

Related: Mark Martin loves stage racing

“I said 20 years ago that these cars had outgrown Daytona and Talladega. They’re almost to outgrown — And I said they were going to — They’ll outgrow these other speedways.”

In the second practice for the 2018 All-Star race Kyle Larson turned the quickest lap. His average speed was 173.305. The next week, Coca-Cola 600 saw practice speeds of 190.134. That’s nearly 10% of the speed, gone.
Mark Martin isn’t a dinosaur that’s just against change. That’s not what we’re talking about. In the past, he’s made comments that he’s in favor of the playoffs, double-file restarts and stage racing.

In the second practice for the 2018 All-Star race Kyle Larson turned the quickest lap. His average speed was 173.305. The next week, Coca-Cola 600 saw practice speeds of 190.134. That’s nearly 10% of the speed, gone.

“I just don’t think making these races more Daytona and Talladega style… I don’t have a lot of interest in watching that. And I’m the biggest fan out there. I watch every race.”

“I know cause I see people all the time. They say, ‘Hey, I don’t like all these changes.’ I say, ‘Well, I do.’ But, I don’t think it’s the right thing to do to turn our racing at all these mile and a half’s and bigger into restrictor plate style racing.”

“That’s just my opinion and I think there’s a lot of people that agree with me. Fans. I’m not a driver anymore. I think there’s a lot of fans that agree with that.”

There’s an argument to be made that Daytona and Talladega are harder to win as more people have a shot at winning. Mark Martin is easily one of the best NASCAR drivers to ever compete in the sport. Yet, he doesn’t have a Daytona 500 win attached to his accomplishments.

However, that again isn’t what Mark is pointing out. He talking about the need for the cars themselves be hard to drive. The best drivers in NASCAR should be controlling the hardest race cars.

Mark Martin explains…

“Do you not care anything about the other side of that? The history of the sport. The appeal of racing, the way it was from the very beginning. That was a different skill set than taking cars and choking them off. It’s not the same kind of racing.”

“Yeah, it’s hard to win at Daytona and Talladega. And they’re interesting races. I like watching them. But, I don’t wanna see that every week. I’m not speaking as a driver. I’m speaking as a fan.”
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Re: Artificial Racing.....Mark Martin

Post by alenigma »

I have to agree with everything that Martin kid says. I can call him a kid, I'm six days older than him. I don't care to see restrictor plate style races every week. I don't wanna see Formula One every week, where no one can pass. This may take awhile but, I think Nascar is onto something.
Let the Next Generation Emerge! :s_bomb