Who's gonna fill the #10 seat in '18?

All things Danica
blue oval_4
Huge Race Fan
Huge Race Fan

Who's gonna fill the #10 seat in '18?

Post by blue oval_4 »

So does Amirole bring Smithfield to the #10 car?
man cannot live by bread alone...He must have beer and Beer Never Broke My ❤️
Kopterdoctor
Big Race Fan
Big Race Fan

Re: Who's gonna fill the #10 seat in '18?

Post by Kopterdoctor »

Maybe they move up Cole Custer :s_dunno
Damn it Jim, I'm only a Doctor
jdpirate
Big Race Fan
Big Race Fan

Post by jdpirate »

Most likely the #10 will have the Smithfield sponsorship and the "unnamed driver" who id rumored to be Aric Almirola
PattyKay
Big Race Fan
Big Race Fan

Post by PattyKay »

According to all I've read, Smithfield will definitely decorate the #10 from SHR. Rumor mill sees Aric Almirola as the likely candidate, and he well might have developed a good working relationship with someone at Smithfield over their tenure together.
Having said that, when I look at the situation, I see a different outcome is very possible. Bubba Wallace filled in for Almirola while he was out with a serious back injury. If I'm a sponsor, willing to sink millions into funding a driver in NASCAR, would I choose a 33-year old with a bad back or a 24-year old who has shown to be the better driver of the two and fits NASCAR's "diversity" quest as well? Smithfield might think differently, but for me, the choice is simple.
The key thing to realize in all of that is that the choice is not up to SHR. It is entirely up to Smithfield, as is the case with every sponsor in the sport today. Where the car owners used to have all the say, things have been turned completely upside down and the sponsors now call all the shots.
I will truly miss Danica. She might not have been the best driver in the world, but she for darn sure was the best female driver the sport has ever seen... EVER! :s_bye :s_roses
intomidator
Race Fan
Race Fan

Post by intomidator »

Based on what I've heard and read Almirola is Smithfield's guy, probably in the #10.

RPM is already talking up getting sponsorship for Bubba Wallace.

Kurt Busch's future appears to be waiting on what Monster decides to do as far as sponsoring his car.

Harvick is certainly safe and most likely Bowyer is too (they actually have contracts).

Danica's demands make it unlikely she will be getting a ride in 2018:
  • She insists on running in cup and won't consider a "lesser" series.
  • She must have a "competitive" ride so she can have fun (SHR is one of the top teams and there are no comparable rides available - if she can't be competitive with her current team she won't be competitive anywhere).
  • Her days of being a marketing maven, at least with NASCAR advertisers, seem to have passed her by. (Move along folks, nothing to see here - the novelty has worn thin)
  • Danica brags she is one of the higher paid competitors. Any team can get a proven winner (Kenseth, Kahne) for probably considerably less money.
  • Her language on her in-car radio and berating fans (June 12, 2017 for example - http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/nascar- ... ying-video) is off putting to both potential sponsors and fans. She appears to be just as angry as she always has been going all the way back to her karting days. I'm not buying her recent "Zen" facade.
  • She's simply not as good as she believes she is.
Everybody is welcome to their own opinions but not their own facts.
jdpirate
Big Race Fan
Big Race Fan

Post by jdpirate »

Matt Kenseth has stated that him going to SHR is definitely out of the question.

Interesting...I've heard that even though he had been in Ford prior to going to JGR...he may have burned bridges with Ford in 2 ways...going to JGR AND him having a significant impact (the Joey Logano payback/incident) in them possibly not winning the Championship that year.

Sirius reports that Kasey Kahne says that as far as being in the 10 car...he is pretty sure who will be driving it next year and it certainly isn't him. Also that his ride for next year is a done deal.
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

We still have Carl or Biffle.....I can't see them putting a mediocre driver with a bad back in the 10 car, unless Aric was part of the deal to get Smithfield to come to SHR.....Interesting....I would put Kurt in the car with the BACON.....if Monster doesn't go with Kurt....he's a much better driver than Aric....JMO

As for Danica.....If NASCAR had a brain, they should find a way to use her....And if Fox was smart they would hire her for the booth with Jeff Gordon.... :s_yes
Last edited by Annalee on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PattyKay
Big Race Fan
Big Race Fan

Post by PattyKay »

We only have part of the story, so we really can't turn any of it into a sure thing. One reality I will promise though. Unless Carl Haas is up to sponsoring yet another car, the choice of driver is entirely up to Smithfield. Whoever is their choice is who will be in the car. That's the reality of the sport today. Sponsors provide the money and have learned that puts them in control, especially with their ever-shrinking numbers. :s_dunno :s_sorry
jdpirate
Big Race Fan
Big Race Fan

Post by jdpirate »

Gene Haas can't put up another car...limited to 4 and they have their 4 cars...4, 14, 41 and 10 (if it stays that number).
Yes, sponsors do control a lot...in a way, as they should to an extent considering the amount of money they pay a race team.

I doubt Carl is coming back but only he knows for certain. As far as Biffle? I am a bit surprised that his name hasn't been thrown out more.

I don't discount Aric as being a good driver...he hasn't been in top notch equipment at Petty's that's for sure.
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

I am more worried about his back, then his driving...we have been down that road with Tony......Way back when....Tony recommended Aric to Joe Gibbs when he was there in the Xfinity, Joe gave him a chance didn't pan out to well, so Tony has seen something in Aric that he really liked...and I guess if his back is ok ...Then that's good enough for me....Besides he's an AirForce brat and so am I...can't be all bad.... :s_wink