Official Garage Gang Hangout Raceday Points Club II

Make your race picks, win prizes, earn bragging rights
beaverpond
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Re: Official Garage Gang Hangout Raceday Points Club II

Post by beaverpond »

really want Kevin to win this one for me next Sunday … that would make for an awesome birthday present

1st: Harvick...2nd: Kyle Busch...3rd: Truex...POLE: Harvick
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

BEAV....Jeff Meendering is our newest member to SHR GG 11...He's Cole's crew chief..... :s_thumbsup...I also think your picks are a pretty sure bet...
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

THE RACE: Coca-Cola 600
TRACK: Charlotte Motor Speedway
Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Race #13 of 36
Date: Sunday, May 27, 2018 in Concord, NC
Scheduled Green Flag (approx): 6:15 pm/et

TELEVISION COVERAGE
NASCAR RaceDay: TBA on FS1
NASCAR Sunday Pre-Race Show: TBA on FOX
Television Race Coverage: FOX, 6:00pm/et

Practices:
Thursday, May 24, 2:35-3:25pm/et, TV-FS1;
Saturday, May 26, 9:05-9:55am/et, TV-FS1;
Saturday, May 26, 11:05-11:55am/et, TV-FS1

Qualifying for positions 1-40, Thursday, May 24 at 7:15 pm/et, TV-FS1;

RACEPICKS DEADLINES
POLE PICKS......Thursday, May 24th at 7:00PM / ET
RACE PICKS......Sunday, May 27th at 6:00 PM/ET

1. BEAV...........1st: Harvick...2nd: Kyle Busch...3rd: Truex...POLE: Harvick
2. ALENIGMA.....pole..current track record holder...Kurt Busch.
Last edited by Annalee on Mon May 21, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaverpond
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by beaverpond »

I think H added the drivers and crew chiefs as well as Tony and Gene to the site so we would know when their birthdays would be. I saw something in the birthday thread that he added them earlier today for that purpose.
blue oval_4
Huge Race Fan
Huge Race Fan

Post by blue oval_4 »

Well, how about lizards WTH green blood? 🐍

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popula ... kill-them/

n 1969, biologists discovered three lizards from New Guinea whose innards were green: bones, muscles, blood and all. Even their eggs seemed green. Today, scientists are exploring the unlikely the cause of the green blood: a pigment that typically kills.

Animal blood comes in a variety of colors based on their chemical makeup: humans use hemoglobin to carry oxygen, which makes our blood red. Octopuses, lobsters and horseshoe crabs use hemocyanin, which means blue blood. There are marine worms with violet blood and leeches with green blood — but lizards use the same red-inducing hemoglobin to carry oxygen as humans do.

Red blood cells only live for a couple of months. When they die, our bodies recycle the iron inside them, creating a green pigment called biliverdin, which gets converted into a yellow one called bilirubin. Biliverdin can kill cells, destroy neurons and kill cells, which is why human livers attempt to filter out bilirubin as quickly as possible.
But some lizards have up to 20 times more biliverdin in their blood than ever recorded in a human, so much that it overshadows their hemoglobin. Not only that: but several different species of lizards share this bizarre trait, and seemingly evolved independently of each other. Does that mean green blood confers an unexpected advantage?

Maybe — scientists speculate that it could a defense against malaria. Hundreds of malaria parasites infect lizards, and some studies have shown that biliverdin can block the growth of the parasite that causes the illness, as well as killing infected red blood cells. But green-blooded lizards still get malaria: if the green blood is related to malaria, it’s possible that different strands of the parasite evolved to combat the biliverdin.

Either way, researchers are excited to explore how lizards tolerate the toxic chemical. “For a scientist, it’s like discovering green gold,” Adriana Briscoe, an evolutionary biologist, told The Atlantic. Studying green-blooded lizards could lead to new treatments for jaundice, or even malaria.
man cannot live by bread alone...He must have beer and Beer Never Broke My ❤️
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

beaverpond wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:35 pm I think H added the drivers and crew chiefs as well as Tony and Gene to the site so we would know when their birthdays would be. I saw something in the birthday thread that he added them earlier today for that purpose.
Exactly right. That's what I did yesterday. They are kind of "dummy" accounts, not the real person. It was the only way to get their birthdays to show up on the main page.

Owners, drivers, crew chiefs:

Tony Stewart
Gene Haas
Kevin Harvick
Rodney Childers
Kurt Busch
Billy Scott
Clint Bowyer
Mike Bugarewicz
Aric Almirola
John Klausmeier
Cole Custer
Jeff Meendering
Image Always A Racer - Forever A Champion Image
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

HiddenHollow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:46 am
beaverpond wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:35 pm I think H added the drivers and crew chiefs as well as Tony and Gene to the site so we would know when their birthdays would be. I saw something in the birthday thread that he added them earlier today for that purpose.
Exactly right. That's what I did yesterday. They are kind of "dummy" accounts, not the real person. It was the only way to get their birthdays to show up on the main page.

Owners, drivers, crew chiefs:

Tony Stewart
Gene Haas
Kevin Harvick
Rodney Childers
Kurt Busch
Billy Scott
Clint Bowyer
Mike Bugarewicz
Aric Almirola
John Klausmeier
Cole Custer
Jeff Meendering
I could never forget Tony's Birthday... :s_biggrin :s_biggrin ...HH are you sure you can do this? Don't you have to get their permission to use their name and personal information?.....
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

Not only can you make race picks in this forum, but as added enjoyment we get a Biology lesson.....What more could a person ask for.... :s_rofl :s_rofl

blue oval_4 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:49 am Well, how about lizards WTH green blood? 🐍

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popula ... kill-them/

n 1969, biologists discovered three lizards from New Guinea whose innards were green: bones, muscles, blood and all. Even their eggs seemed green. Today, scientists are exploring the unlikely the cause of the green blood: a pigment that typically kills.

Animal blood comes in a variety of colors based on their chemical makeup: humans use hemoglobin to carry oxygen, which makes our blood red. Octopuses, lobsters and horseshoe crabs use hemocyanin, which means blue blood. There are marine worms with violet blood and leeches with green blood — but lizards use the same red-inducing hemoglobin to carry oxygen as humans do.

Red blood cells only live for a couple of months. When they die, our bodies recycle the iron inside them, creating a green pigment called biliverdin, which gets converted into a yellow one called bilirubin. Biliverdin can kill cells, destroy neurons and kill cells, which is why human livers attempt to filter out bilirubin as quickly as possible.
But some lizards have up to 20 times more biliverdin in their blood than ever recorded in a human, so much that it overshadows their hemoglobin. Not only that: but several different species of lizards share this bizarre trait, and seemingly evolved independently of each other. Does that mean green blood confers an unexpected advantage?

Maybe — scientists speculate that it could a defense against malaria. Hundreds of malaria parasites infect lizards, and some studies have shown that biliverdin can block the growth of the parasite that causes the illness, as well as killing infected red blood cells. But green-blooded lizards still get malaria: if the green blood is related to malaria, it’s possible that different strands of the parasite evolved to combat the biliverdin.

Either way, researchers are excited to explore how lizards tolerate the toxic chemical. “For a scientist, it’s like discovering green gold,” Adriana Briscoe, an evolutionary biologist, told The Atlantic. Studying green-blooded lizards could lead to new treatments for jaundice, or even malaria.
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

Annalee wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 pm HH are you sure you can do this? Don't you have to get their permission to use their name and personal information?.....
I don't think it's a problem. Their names and birth dates are all over the internet. I found it all with Google. It's public knowledge. Now, if I included their addresses, phone numbers & SSNs.... that would be a problem. :s_rofl
Image Always A Racer - Forever A Champion Image
alenigma
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by alenigma »

pole..current track record holder...Kurt Busch.
Let the Next Generation Emerge! :s_bomb