Largest Fair in Maine

Whatever goes... remember, this is a family forum
beaverpond
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Largest Fair in Maine

Post by beaverpond »

This is an arial view of the Fryeburg Fair Grounds. They encompass more than 185 acres and is the oldest agricultural fair in the State of Maine, the first annual fair was held in during first week of October in 1854 and it has been during the first week of October ever since. It was started by a few local farmers back then. Only twice has the fair been closed down for that year and that was the two years during the pandemic.

The past couple of years they held the fair virtually, they had photos from the past and allowed the different farms and vendors with items for sale to show their animals and links to show and sell their items through custom links through their fair website.

This was a massive year. They have not seen numbers like they have seen this year for a grand total of visitors to the fair. They actually broke their record for the number of visitors to the fair over any year on Friday and there were still two days left to go. To see more than 100,000 is rare, they blew past that total on Friday and the two busiest days were still to come. It will be interesting to see what the grand total is when all is said and done. The one thing they said they do not count and in the future they will is kids, kids under the age of 12 get in for free. They also don't count farm families and vendors, they said they may start counting those as well. Those with courtesy tickets also are not counted. In the future, these people will also be counted. They also have a Senior Citizen Day and none of these days are counted either, they may give them a courtesy ticket just to assist in their counting. So with all this, they know their numbers are considerable higher than what ticket sales are. So ticket sales for people between 12-64 are over 100,000 as of Friday. Seniors are 50% off every other day except on Senior Citizen Day when they get in free.

It is said that this fair is one of the largest in the US. People from all over the world plan their vacations just so they can come to this fair. My daughter was working today and met people from Australia, Japan, Austria, just to name a few and they all said they came to the US for the fair and then came to North Conway to check out Mount Washington and the White Mountains. My daughter is keeping a journal of all the people she meets and where they are from, from around the world. She has also met people from England, Scotland, Israel, and somewhere in the Middle East, I can't remember where.