HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Stewart Finally Returns To Rumble Victory Lane 2 Nights In A Row

Post by HiddenHollow »

By Jacob Seelman - December 28, 2019

Rumble in Fort Wayne.JPG
Rumble in Fort Wayne.JPG (73.12 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

FORT WAYNE, Ind. – It took him eight years and a boatload of effort to do it, but Tony Stewart finally returned to the top of the heap at the Rumble in Fort Wayne on Friday night.

Stewart raced to victory for the 10th time inside the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum with a dominant run through the field in the headlining 50-lap national midget feature.

The three-time NASCAR Cup Series champion had to transfer in through one of three B-mains after missing the cut in his heat race, but once the main event started there was no stopping Stewart’s familiar No. 2 Our Gang Poker Munchkin midget.

Stewart raced from ninth to third by the halfway point of the event, then moved into second behind polesitter and race-long leader Cap Henry on lap 30 after then-runner-up Tim Buckwalter caught air with the front end of his car in turns one and two and slid back in a hurry.

From there, Stewart ran down and dogged Henry for four revolutions before making the winning pass on lap 35 with an inside maneuver off the fourth corner.

Once Stewart took the point, not even a red flag for fumes with 14 to go could keep his momentum down. He pulled away from Henry on two late-race restarts and never looked back after that.

Friday night’s triumph extended Stewart’s all-time record for event wins at the Rumble, as well as broke a tie with the late Rich Vogler for the most indoor midget wins in North American history.

It was a moment that left the usually-vocal Hoosier nearly at a loss for words in victory lane.

“It’s pretty damn cool; any time you put yourself in the same category as Rich Vogler, or take a record from him, you know you’ve done something pretty special,” said Stewart, whose last Rumble win prior to Friday night was in 2011. “Rich was pretty badass; it didn’t matter whether it was a midget, a sprint car, Silver Crown car, dirt or pavement. He was one of the best of all time for sure. That kind of thing is something you don’t think about when you show up here, but it’s a pretty cool stat to know now.

“It makes this win that much more worth it, really. The car was pretty good there in the main, even though I forgot all the tire rules and ran the same right rear the entire night,” he tipped. “After qualifying it was chewed up, so we dismounted it, flipped it around backwards for the main and luckily it cleaned up, but it started going away again right at the end of the race. This place is feast or famine and there are so many things that can happen in these races. You just have to hope everything goes right.

“For us tonight, everything did work out and we’re standing here with a trophy because of it.”

Henry topped the special dash race, contested between the four heat winners, to earn the pole for the midget feature and used the prime starting spot to lead the first 34 laps uncontested.

However, once Stewart got around him, Henry just didn’t have enough pace to keep touch with the leader and faded back in the final laps off Stewart’s bumper before his eventual second-place finish.

It tied Henry’s career-best Rumble mark, set during the opening night of competition in 2018.

“We just weren’t quite fast enough,” Henry noted. “We were kind of struggling there (toward the end), and I think I kind of burnt the tires up trying to hang on to it. I knew those guys were going to be coming. Tony had to run the B, so I knew it was only a matter of time until he got there.

“My guys did a really good job, though. I couldn’t be prouder of them and we’re excited for tomorrow now.”

Henry’s co-team owner, Joe Liguori, completed the podium ahead of former Rumble winners Justin Peck and Derek Bischak.

Famed Munchkin fabricator and designer Mike Fedorcak was sixth, followed by Bryan Nuckles, Jim Anderson, Kyle Hamilton and Cory Setser.

Saturday’s Rumble program will feature another complete midget program of time trials, heat races, consolation races and a 50-lap main event. Peck is the defending Saturday winner at the Rumble.

:arrow: https://sprintcarandmidget.com/other-mi ... tory-lane/
Image Always A Racer - Forever A Champion Image
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Re: Stewart Finally Returns To Rumble Victory Lane

Post by HiddenHollow »

HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Re: Stewart Finally Returns To Rumble Victory Lane

Post by HiddenHollow »

Smoke Rises Late For Another Rumble Win

By Jacob Seelman - December 29, 2019

Rumble In Fort Wayne.jpg
Rumble In Fort Wayne.jpg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

FORT WAYNE, Ind. – There was a profound sense of déjà vu inside the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum during Saturday night’s finale to the 22nd annual Rumble in Fort Wayne presented by Jason Dietsch Trailer Sales.

Exactly like he did one night earlier, Tony Stewart set fast time in qualifying, had to transfer into the field from a B-main and then romped forward from ninth to win the 50-lap national midget headliner.

This time, Stewart had to contend with a pair of young guns in Kyle Hamilton and Justin Peck, but neither were strong enough to be able to stop the three-time NASCAR Cup Series champion in the end.

Stewart methodically worked his way up to third before 20 laps were on the board, then laid in wait while Hamilton and Peck went at it for the race lead out front before making his move late.

The Columbus, Ind., native pounced following a lap-33 red flag for building ventilation, taking a car that he’d called “not as good as we need it to be” right before the restart and slipping past Peck into second.

Once in the runner-up position with 12 to go, Stewart got the help of a timely caution flag for a spinning Cap Henry to close on the back bumper of Hamilton’s Mel Kenyon-prepared No. 16, setting up the winning pass.

Stewart finally got inside Hamilton in turn three with six laps left, finding front grip he hadn’t had all race long and surging ahead to take a lead he wouldn’t relinquish.

It was Stewart’s record-extending 11th career Rumble in Fort Wayne victory, far and away the most of all drivers, as well as the first time a driver has swept both nights of the event since 2011.

In victory lane, an animated Stewart noted that he drove his No. 2 Our Gang Poker Munchkin “with no power steering for 50 laps” as he discussed the night and what many considered a surprising victory.

Victory Lane.jpg
Victory Lane.jpg (26.07 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

“This is indoor racing. Anyone that came to watch a parade came to the wrong place,” Stewart said. “We get rough and rowdy in this building, and all night it was like that. Everybody keeps asking why I come to this deal, and it’s because of the fans and the fact that they want to see a show. They don’t want to see us just sit there and ride around and follow each other for 50 laps. That’s the nature of the beast.

“We saw it all night. I don’t know why when I do it (make contact while making a pass), it’s not acceptable, but I think everyone came to see a show and if they didn’t get a show out of that, I don’t know what else to do, man,” Stewart continued. “I sat there and ran 50 laps and I only leaned on guys a couple of times when I needed to. I never spun anybody out in the two days that I was here.

“All in all, I don’t think I did too badly. After last year, it’s pretty sweet to be back here winning again.”

Hamilton won the dash to earn the pole for the main and jumped out to the early lead, with only one caution slowing the early pace after Scott Hampton found the wall off the exit of the second corner.

Following that restart on lap 16 is when Stewart made his move into the top three, but at that point, all eyes were on Hamilton and Peck as they diced it up for the race lead out in front.

Hamilton held serve through the halfway point of the race, but on the 29th lap, Peck was tired of sitting back in second and made his bid for the race lead. The three-time Rumble winner got inside of Hamilton going into turn one and came out ahead, looking like a driver who might win his fourth Rumble main.

But Peck’s downfall was short-run speed, and a segmented end to the race spelled his doom. The race’s lone red flag with 17 to go, plus a caution one lap after the restart, ultimately ruined his chances.

Peck spun the tires on a lap-35 restart and gave up command to Hamilton, who then appeared to be in the driver’s seat until spins by Henry – and then Austin Nemire with nine to go – gave Stewart a fighting chance.

After the last restart, Stewart dug down deep and finally got to Hamilton’s bumper, turning the tables coming to five to go and forcing Hamilton to settle for second at the checkered flag.

Hamilton was matter-of-fact after the race and said he “couldn’t be too disappointed” at the final outcome.

“I was pretty happy to get back around Peck, but I knew that was just a battle. The war was still going to be to try and beat Tony, and he just had too much there at the end,” Hamilton said. “Our car was good, but it was second best. We can’t hang our heads on it though. To come in here and have a car that could run that close to Tony within six laps, you really can’t be all that disappointed.”

Peck crossed the line third, followed by Derek Bischak and Travis Welpott.

Matt Westfall, Billy Wease, Nick Hamilton, Scott Hampton and Troy DeCaire were the balance of the top 10.

:arrow: https://sprintcarandmidget.com/other-mi ... umble-win/