NASCAR HALL OF FAME........

Races, tracks, drivers and all the drama that comes along with it
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

NASCAR HALL OF FAME........

Post by Annalee »

Now I voted A LOT......Are we going to see it televised??......Anyone know? :s_dunno
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Re: NASCAR HALL OF FAME........

Post by HiddenHollow »

No, not televised, but it will be streamed on nascar.com/live starting at 5pm ET.
Image Always A Racer - Forever A Champion Image
Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

Thanks so much.... :s_thumbsup
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

Annalee wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:46 pm Now I voted A LOT......Are we going to see it televised??......Anyone know? :s_dunno
Oops, looks like I was wrong. The HoF announcement will be on NBCSN :arrow: https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/05/22 ... ycar-live/
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

D7Mu-LeXoAMVN00.jpg
D7Mu-LeXoAMVN00.jpg (149.08 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

TONY IN THE HoF!

HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

D7M1W77WwAA7xAa.jpg
D7M1W77WwAA7xAa.jpg (163.38 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
HiddenHollow
Enormous Race Fan
Enormous Race Fan

Post by HiddenHollow »

Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

I KNEW IT...... :s_yes :s_yes

Annalee
Colossal Race Fan
Colossal Race Fan

Post by Annalee »

Stewart reflects on Gibbs, entire 2020 class: ‘This is my opportunity to be like you’

By Chase Wilhelm NASCAR.com May 22, 2019 at 9:20 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Tony Stewart sat calmly as his name was the first to be called among the five inductees for the NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2020, but once he heard Joe Gibbs was next, he couldn’t help but fist pump.

Stewart joined four other legends of the sport — Gibbs, Bobby Labonte, Waddell Wilson and Buddy Baker — having a special connection with each new member throughout his storied career.

Once the initial reactions of earning a selection in his first year on the ballot settled, Stewart had time to reflect upon the elation he had for those joining him, more so than the excitement for his own achievement.

RELATED: Class of 2020 revealed | Jeff Gordon crashes Tony Stewart’s interview

“It wasn’t about me,” Stewart said Wednesday following the formal announcement at the NASCAR Hall of Fame. “It’s about this whole group that’s going in. There was that sense of pride obviously when Mike (Helton) called my name. But at the same time, it’s fun to sit there and share that moment and know how much that’s going to mean to Joe and Bobby and Waddell.

“I’m more excited and prouder to be able to share it with them than I am about what it means just for me.”

Focusing on experiences with his former team owner, Stewart shared the fondest memories with Coach Gibbs. Stewart remembered joking with Gibbs about the only addition he wanted in the initial contract — an opportunity in one of the Top Fuel seats in the NHRA Gibbs had owned at the time. While Gibbs’ eyes got really big, Stewart got a kick out of pulling the leg of his new boss.

While it was the initial exchange that set the comedic tone for their relationship, it was the final one that was more heartfelt — the tough moment when he walked into Gibbs’ office to break the news — he was leaving the team to start up Stewart-Haas Racing.

“There’s been a lot of moments where Joe was more than patient with me,” Stewart said. “I remember how frustrated and mad and upset he was about it. But then I said, ‘This is my opportunity to be like you,’ and that stopped it all with him being mad.

“I think he was still frustrated, but I don’t think he was mad anymore,” Stewart added. “That was a moment that was just the two of us that day. What do you say when you tell someone you’re trying to be like them? What are they going to tell you, no don’t be like me?”

For Gibbs, it was a moment he remembers very well.

“At that point, I was upset,” Gibbs said. “You don’t really want to lose somebody like that that was such a key part to what we were doing. I think when he first said that to me, my reaction was I was disappointed, upset and then the more we thought about it, you do realize the opportunity he was offered.

“I will say this … I think it’s one of the key teams in support of NASCAR now,” added Gibbs. “What they’ve done over there has been good for our sport.”

For all the race wins and championships Stewart’s organization has earned since 2011, Stewart feels Gibbs was an integral part in that success for him, both personally and professionally.

“Working with someone like Joe is probably the best asset that I’ve ever had in my life,” Stewart said.

PHOTOS: Scenes from Voting Day for Hall of Fame 2020 class

As far as former teammate Labonte, Stewart credits him with paving the way to slot into the seat of the No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing machine.

“When I joined Joe Gibbs Racing, that’s when Bobby spent the most time with me because that’s when I needed the most help,” Stewart said. “I remember going to Rockingham where the Xfinity garage was on the backstretch and I remember how excited I would get when Bobby would come over.

“… He made an effort to go all the way to the backstretch to see how I was doing and offer advice. That meant the world to me because he was the guy that got me there.”

As much as Labonte offered a helping hand to Stewart in the beginning of his Cup Series venture, Labonte noted it was actually a two-way street.

“When the second car was added, he was so good, and he helped me, and I hope I helped him,” Labonte said. “I think of the race in Miami where he won the race and I won the championship. So many good things. Just how much of a great teammate he was to me and he was always willing to help.”

Aside from the JGR history, even Stewart’s connections with Wilson and Baker left a footprint early on in his career. Wilson was with former team owner Harry Ranier when Stewart joined Ranier-Walsh Racing’s 1996 entry in what’s now the NASCAR Xfinity Series. When Stewart went through the Buck Baker Driving School, Stewart shared that Buddy was there watching him take laps.

“It’s very humbling,” Stewart said. “It’s just really cool how the four guys I’m going in with I have a connection with at early parts of my career.”